For this extension, you will need two paper plates and a fastener for each student. Tell students that, in order to remember some of the ideas on how to cope with stress or worry, they will create a wheel of coping skills. Guide the students through the following steps to make the wheel of coping skills:
- Take the first paper plate and cut out a small triangle/slice toward the middle in order to be able to see the plate that will be fastened underneath it.
- Insert a paper fastener into the first plate with the triangle cut out and then into the second plate so the top plate can spin over the bottom plate.
- Spin the top plate, and each time a new section of the bottom plate is exposed, write one of your favorite coping skills from the list that was created on the board into each section of the bottom plate. (The students will write 10 of their favorite coping skills from the class-generated list on the bottom paper plate.)
- Once all the coping skills have been written down on the bottom plate, decorate!
- Ask students to write their names on the bottom of their wheel so they know it is theirs, and tell them they can take it home with them or keep it in school in order to help them remember how to cope with stress and worry.